Sunday, April 18, 2010

Afghanistani Meal - Day 1

Afghanistani Meal - Day 1

After surfing around numerous sites, I settled on Chelo Nachodo,(chicken & chick-pea stew with rice) a family-style dish. It's a substantial stew, well seasoned in Afghan style and combined w/a crispy-bottomed rice which provided a nice contrasting texture to stew. Ingredients included: Chicken, chick-peas, onions, celery w/leaves,carrot,zucchini, ,cumin seed, coriander, fresh dill, lemon juice .

It was pretty good, but not that interesting. I liked the chic peas and dill, and the crispy rice (first time I've ever made it that way) was very good.

The overall consensus was okay, but kind of bland.

11 comments:

TigerLily1127 said...

Love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awsome!

lzmontgo said...

Yum yum. What's coming up?

hmom said...

Sarah- you must try the Helmand in Cambridge- Afgani restaurant. It is one of my absolute faves.

sadie said...

Thanks, hmom, my husband thinks it might be on 1st street in Kendall Square!

hmom said...

It's right behind the Cambridgeside Galleria-make a reservation though-can be very crowded. (it's me-Gail!)

sadie said...

wait, Gail? Liam and I know several Gails. I went to your blog, but there's nothing on your profile page :)

sadie said...

waitttttttttttttttttt...Gail! HMom - duhhhhh :) Thanks for the tip and support :)

jd decker said...

Oh and terrific photo of you too. Our son Hunter gf is at new eng school of cooking.. she has a 6 mth intern in springfield MA.. they are there now. some indian named town with an "O"

Anonymous said...

you might think Afghani cooking is bland but you must venture into more traditional items like ashak or mantu which are absolutely delicious ! I hope you go back and try something else from this country.

sadie said...

Thank you! I will go back and try it. I appreciate the feedback and ideas!! I learn all the time from readers like you who take the time to help me.